BGP noob needs monitoring advice

Andree Toonk andree+nanog at toonk.nl
Wed Dec 21 17:31:58 UTC 2011

Hi Vinny,

.-- My secret spy satellite informs me that at 11-12-21 5:17 AM  Vinny
Abello wrote:

> Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I'm concerned regarding the IPv4 bogon list on http://bgpmon.net/showbogons.php?inet=4 . It clearly includes several /8's that should not be there. The data seems to be stale as if some job is no longer pulling the updated data. It states it's being pulled from http://www.cymru.com/Documents/bogon-bn-nonagg.txt , but that clearly does not contain 100/8, 5/8, 181/8, 49/8 and a few others... and hasn't for quite some time.

The http://bgpmon.net/showbogons.php?inet=4  page show a list of bogons
that were announced at a certain point in time, so the page show
historical announcements as well (check the date).

For example the last 100/8 bogons were detected on 2010-10-29, at that
time it was still considered a bogon.

The list is not stale, there's just very few IPv4 bogons left :)
We do still see RFC1918 announcements:
http://www.bgpmon.net/showbogons.php?inet=4&global=yes&private=yes

And of course IPv6 bogons, Last month for example: 18c::/16
http://www.bgpmon.net/showbogons.php?global=yes&private=yes&inet=6

Cheers,
  Andree