Well Lookie Here, Barracuda Networks tries to get me to fall into their trap again...

John Palmer (NANOG Acct) nanog2 at adns.net
Wed Dec 21 15:36:08 UTC 2011

Well look what was in my in-box this morning! Looks like Barracuda Networks is sending
out spam again. Maybe word is getting around about their less that value-full renewal
policy. Could  it be that people are starting to resent being taken advantage of??

See my response below their message. Seems like they don't remember that I was a fish
they already hooked and fleeced.

--- SPAM from Barracuda ----

Howdy,

Just following up with you about a project you were working on with Barracuda Networks.

Checking in to see how things are going for you.  Have you had network changes recently or a issue pop up that we can help solve?

Let me know if you would like a solution guide for reference.

Happy December,

--- Message sent in response to the sales droid message from Barracuda ---

Hi Jaz,

No, things are about the same. I see by your website that you haven't changed a bit
and continue to think that it is an honest business practice to charge people for a service
and then not to deliver it.

When I renew my Barracuda Engergize subscription, THE RENEWAL SHOULD BE FROM THE
DATE THAT I RENEW, NOT THE ANNIVERSARY DATE!

Many small businesses have cash flow challenges and cannot renew their subscription right at
the expirartion date. Where does that leave them? If they have to delay their renewal by three or
four months, they then get greeted by your company charging them for an entire year of service
when they only actually get 8 or 9 months, since the renewal  goes from the anniversary
date instead of the anniversary date being reset to the actual date of renewal.

As it stands right now, If we were to renew our Energize subscription, We'd have to pay for FIVE
YEARS of service but would only get THREE years. If that isn't a rip-off, I don't know what is.

I think this is dishonest business practice. I will no longer give money to what I view as a crooked company
such as yours.

I have posted about this corrupt practice on my blog (http://www.john-palmer.net/wordpress/?p=46) and
on facebook. Think I'll "bump" each of those postings to refresh them in the search engines so that
people continue to be informed of this practice so that they won't fall into the trap of doing business
with your company as we did.

Perhaps for your collective New Year's resolution at Barracuda Networks, you can all resolve to
operate your business in an honest fashion and provide FAIR value with FAIR business practices
in 2012, both of which, in my opinion, you are severly lacking.

Maybe then, PERHAPS, we may look at doing further business with you.