what if...?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Dec 20 22:06:05 UTC 2011

In message <20111220133723.cfjv8g999ssoc8gg at fcaglp.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar>, "Eduard
o A. =?iso-8859-1?b?U3XhcmV6?=" writes:
> Hi,
>
> what if evil guys hack my mom ISP DNS servers and use RPZ to redirect =20
> traffic from mom_bank.com to evil.com?
>
> How can she detect this?

The bank signs their zone and mum's machine validates the answers
it gets from the ISP.  This is not rocket science.  This is not
beyond the capabilities of even the smallest client that mom would
use to talk to the bank.  This is how DNSSEC was designed to be
used.

Validating in the resolver protects the resolver itself and the
cache from pollution.  It also protects non DNSSEC aware clients
from upstream of the resolver threats.  It was always expected that
clients would validate answers themselves.

Mark

> Eduardo.-
>
> --=20
> Eduardo A. Suarez
> Facultad de Ciencias Astron=F3micas y Geof=EDsicas - UNLP
> FCAG: (0221)-4236593 int. 172/Cel: (0221)-15-4557542/Casa: (0221)-4526589

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org