BGP noob needs monitoring advice

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 19:17:06 UTC 2011

Depending on the nature of your redundant connections, your traffic
engineering/bgp settings, and the visibility of the routing through the
lost provider to the internet route servers mentioned, you may/may not be
able to easily monitor this.  Some failures are harder to find than others.

Suggestions:

1) On the provider that stopped accepting your prefix, your inbound traffic
would have dropped to 0.  Monitor for this if this isn't by design already.
2) Use the bgpmon suggested by Dave below to see events which are visible
to the route server they use.