BGP noob needs monitoring advice

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Tue Dec 20 18:57:28 UTC 2011

Hey:

Manually speaking, you can always telnet to route-views.routeviews.org which is a restricted Cisco interface.  Log in with username "rviews" and don't enable.  From the prompt you can do all the "show ip bgp" commands you need to see whether or not your /24 is being announced via your upstream providers.  As an example 'sho ip bgp x.x.x.x' where x.x.x.x is your /24.  You should see the announcement originating from your AS over multiple providers that includes both of yours.  If not, you know you have a problem.

Mike

--
Michael K. Smith - CISSP, GSEC, GISP
Chief Technical Officer - Adhost Internet LLC mksmith at adhost.com
w: +1 (206) 404-9500 f: +1 (206) 404-9050