De-bogon not possible via arin policy.

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 03:21:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:43:05 -0500, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org>
wrote:
> However, if they actually have the number of hosts claimed, that
> justifies the space they're asking for.  What addresses they're using
> today is irrelevant.  ARIN policy only /suggests/ that they use RFC 1918
> space; they are allowed to get public space if they want it.

Except they've tipped their hand already. If they've been NAT'ing 5/8 for
who knows how long, it's clear they don't need public IPv4 space for their
network.  However, getting public space is easier than building multiple
10/8 private islands. (or so they thought :-))

> However, those customers seem to have gotten along okay for years
> without public addresses, so why not renumber them into a second
> instance of 10/8?  When I was in the consulting world, I had one
> customer with eight instances of 10/8, so I know it's doable.

And that's my entire point. Thus how they've failed to demonstrate a
legitimate need for what little IPv4 space is still available.

Maybe they (tmo) should get their european arm to ask RIPE for the entire
5/8 :-) (well, the 3/4th they haven't allocated yet.)

--Ricky