Is AS information useful for security?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Dec 15 14:44:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011, Joe Loiacono wrote:

> Is a good knowledge of either origin-AS, or next-AS with respect to flows
> valuable in establishing, monitoring, or re-enforcing a security posture?
> In what ways?

If I'm understanding your question correctly, I think it can be helpful,
to a degree.  It's always good to 'know your neighbors', but for the most
part I don't think an organization's security posture would change very
much, based strictly on next-AS.  In the case of next-AS, you already
know your neighbors somewhat, because you have some sort of a business
relationship with them (your transit providers, peers, downstream
BGP-speaking customers, etc).

origin-AS could be another story.  If you know of an AS that is being used
by the bad guys for bad purposes, you can write a routing policy to dump
all traffic to/from that AS into the bit bucket or take some other action
that could be dictated by your security policy.  In that case, a routing
policy could be considered an extension of a security policy.

jms