De-bogon not possible via arin policy.

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Wed Dec 14 23:38:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Cameron Byrne <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fyi, I just was rejected from arin for an ipv4 allocation. I demonstrated I
> own ~100k ipv4 addresses today.
>
> My customers use over 10 million bogon / squat space ip addresses today,
> and I have good attested data on that.

Cameron,

I have a client who went through the same problem in early-2011.  They
had several thousand residential and small business end-users behind
NAT and wished to provision public IP addresses for them.  They
assumed ARIN would be pleased to issue an appropriate block for their
project.  David Huberman rejected their request outright and told them
to request provider space, renumber the customers to provider IPs, and
then apply to ARIN again and renumber their network a second time.
The client did not bother to involve me until after they had already
been told to FOAD.

This is clearly a counter-productive waste of time, but if the client
had applied using the immediate need process, and provided the
additional supporting documentation required by that, I think they
would not have had this problem.  The analyst you worked with should
have suggested a different application procedure or otherwise worked
with you to facilitate your request.  Sometimes the ARIN staff are
nice and helpful, sometimes they are not.  It depends on who you get
assigned to, price of tea in china, phase of the moon, etc.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts