Time Warner Routing Issue

Wed Dec 14 20:46:52 UTC 2011

I have a Time Warner circuit that has been giving me issues and what their
tech support has been telling me has not matched my previous experience
with other backbones.  I have been trying to move the backbone on one site
from a tier-3 provider to Time Warner.  Yesterday TW started advertising
BGP for the ip blocks I have (68.68.176.0/22 in /24's) before they had the
circuit completed, so I had to make an emergency mid-day switch to move to
Time Warner.  Then yesterday night they stopped announcing my blocks so my
site went down again and would still be completely down if we had not added
NAT to the /30 point-to-point link.  They said the reason was they didn't
have an LOA (which they had gotten back in October) and the ip blocks were
not in the Level3 Radb list.  I could still see announcement to some peers
(Shaw Cable in Canada) in a few looking glasses and BGP routers.  However
my network blocks were not showing for the larger US carriers like Qwest
and AT&T.  One of their techs just called me back and said that Level3
should be advertising it, but I still do not see the routes on the AT&T
route server.  After noting that the tech said that it may take another day
for BGP to "propagate" to other peers as they update their radb tables.  In
my experience I've never seen anything where I had to wait for a route to
propagate other than standard routing table updates which usually take less
then an hour, and I'd really not expect this many problems between Tier1
and Tier2 providers.  I need to know if this matches other's experience and
wanting to know what other people were seeing with traceroutes and "show ip
bgp".  The networks in question at the following 4 /24's

68.68.176.0/24
68.68.177.0/24
68.68.178.0/24
68.68.179.0/24