Sad IPv4 story?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Dec 14 09:06:06 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, December 14, 2011 02:36:49 PM Don Gould wrote:

> I've been researching solutions with NAT and double NAT
> in mind because it's obvious that v4 space is going to
> become a growing problem.

We've started playing with Stateful NAT64 on a couple of
Cisco ASR1006's.

In general, it works okay, save for issues with applications
that have no IPv6 support, e.g., Skype, e.t.c. We hope to
find more issues as more customers sign up to be guinea
pigs.

> The only thing that is really clear is the lack of
> clarity.

Indeed. We're doing what we can to be part of the solution,
by picking technologies we think will be useful for us and
going out and testing them at scale, with a goal to start
rolling out v6 in droves as well provide usable operator
feedback re: our deployment to vendors and other operators
alike.

As much as we'd like to see how the market unravels re: v4,
e.t.c., the fact remains that v6 is the inevitable solution.
So best to get cracking now with real deployments.

Mark.