Sad IPv4 story?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Dec 13 09:54:07 UTC 2011

On Dec 11, 2011, at 6:52 AM, John Curran wrote:

>  The sooner we get the content on IPv6 in addition to IPv4, the sooner
>  that connecting new customers up via IPv6 without additional unique
>  IPv4 address space becomes viable (and obviously if we had the vast
>  majority of content already on IPv6, then connecting new customers
>  via IPv6 would be simple indeed.)

Google and other content providers will whitelist you if you coordinate
with them.  Some may not like the social-political implications of this
as it will create what some see as IPv6 islands that are overlays on the
global IPv6 network.

This is nothing new, there have always been private and policy based
decisions that lead to reachability.

We have seen great success (IMHO) in IPv6 day.  We need to see this happen
again with a broader number of networks having IPv6 connectivity.  I look
forward to seeing the continued broadband deployment of IPv6 to make the
data far more interesting.  I'm glad to see the major carriers doing IPv6
work in this space.  It appears that the traditional/incumbent telcos in
the US are behind the curve, but I'm not entirely convinced their business
model is relevant in the future decades.

	- Jared