Overall Netflix bandwidth usage numbers on a network?

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Tue Dec 13 01:43:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Jason Lixfeld <jason at lixfeld.ca> wrote:

> On 2011-12-12, at 4:22 PM, Simon Lockhart <simon at slimey.org> wrote:
>
>> I guess most (i.e. those
>> which aren't Akamai) are more concerned with making money than with delivering
>> a good service to the end user.
>
> Really?  I always thought that higher profits and buying transit were mutually exclusive relative to higher profits and openly peering.
>
> So what you are saying is that one stands to make more by paying upstreams for bit swapping?  How's that work?
>
> If the argument is that the opex required for maintaining peering relationships is too expensive relative to the direct and indirect cost of buying bandwidth, I love to be edumacated on how that math actually works because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I'm somewhat assuming you're trolling here.  :/

but just in case...

the lost revenue from peering with someone when you could be
charging them transit prices is the tradeoff being referred to
here; Level3 isn't in the business of paying upstreams for
bandwidth.  (well, other than comcast, but that's a different
thread entirely.  And yes, I suppose that would be me trolling.
Bad Matt!)

Matt