Sad IPv4 story?

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Fri Dec 9 20:47:06 UTC 2011

On Dec 9, 2011, at 1:07 PM, Fred Baker wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Franck Martin wrote:
>
>> I just had a personal email from a brand new ISP in the Asia-Pacific area desperately looking for enough IPv4 to be able to run their business the way they would like…
>>
>> This is just a data point.
>
> We're going to be hearing a lot more of these. It's the nature of finite resources, and of human nature when faced with them. At some point, this will find its way into courtrooms under the rubric of a barrier to entry. It already has in terms of antitrust when a company wanted to move its PA prefix to different upstream.

+1 to Fred's comments.  Hopefully, the existence of an open IPv4 address market will help avoid some of the worst.  (At least for a while, until the rising prices get too high for a competitive environment.  And maybe by then the price of IPv4 addresses will have made IPv6 deployment a much more obvious choice to reluctant CFO-types.)

Cheers,
-Benson

---
Disclaimers:
1. I am not a lawyer, and nothing in this message should be construed as advice.
2. I, Benson Schliesser, am an employee of Cisco Systems; however, opinions expressed in this email are my own views and not those of Cisco Systems or anybody else.