BGP and Firewalls...

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Wed Dec 7 18:19:58 UTC 2011

My concern is whether or not consolidating border router and firewall functions in the same device violates, if not explicitly, then the spirit of the "defense in depth" Internet edge design principle. Here is a link to a Department of Homeland Security document where this is discussed (for control systems, but has general application), but not addressed directly: http://www.inl.gov/technicalpublications/Documents/3375141.pdf

The old Checkpoint/Nokia firewalls consolidated routing and firewall functions, but the question is one of layered defenses, such that it seems intuitive that it is inherently more difficult for the bad actor to penetrate network defenses the more devices that have to be penetrated.