Writable SNMP

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 17:53:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Keegan Holley
<keegan.holley at sungard.com> wrote:
> It was more curiosity.  I'm looking in to scripting and starting to get
> tired of having to account for ssh/telnet, credentials, differences in

'write a library'... someone once said.

> platforms and code from the same vendor and my various failed attempts to do
> all of the above.  Most of the automation suites I've seen work via logins,
> rancid,HP NA etc etc.  Although there are better programmers that can and
> have made it work it still seems cumbersome to me. I've pretty much made the

it is, somewhat, yes.

> assumption that writable SNMP was a bad idea but have never actually tried
> it.  I was curious what others were using, netconf or just scripted logins.
> I'm also fighting a losing battle to convince people that netconf isn't
> evil.  It strikes me as odd that if I wanted to talk to a database/website
> full of credit card and billing info there's a long list of API's I could
> use, but if I wanted to talk to the router or firewall in front of it I can
> only use ssh or telnet.

sad, right? there are millions of restful program writers, only a few
thousand network device programmers, and the vast majority of 'network
management' is done by people perfectly happy with 'cisco-works' :(