GPON Vendors

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Dec 7 08:45:59 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 03:43:20 PM Owen DeLong
wrote:

> In any such vendor choice, I'd say make sure that they
> have workable IPv6 before making any major investments.
> Otherwise, you've got a dead-end platform that won't
> serve you very well for very many years.

GPON deployment for FTTH tends to be, really, an Ethernet
switch. There is just additional intelligence thrown in to
keep the thing from being suicidal at Layer 2 for that many
customers when doing typical consumer broadband.

If you're using the GPON AN as as a regular switch, i.e.,
one VLAN per customer, then you can roll IPv6 to your FTTH
customers just as you would on a Cisco Catalyst switch, for
example.

But most operators are using them for broadband deployments,
and the split horizon mechanisms implemented as part of the
Broadband Forum spec. for GPON make it unintuitive that v6
be supported off the bat for DHCP and PPPoE. Of course, this
isn't rocket science, and just needs to be added in software
- a problem many vendors are suffering from. As we do with
all of them, keep pushing for support for the features you
need in v6. Just make sure you don't buy a dud.

Mark.