[fyodor at insecure.org: C|Net Download.Com is now bundling Nmap with malware!]

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 7 02:10:14 UTC 2011

Carrier IQ does not qualify as a good use of a Trojan and comes about as close to your definition as I can think of.

No, a Trojan is malware. Any software which operates without the knowledge or consent of the user to engage in operations the user would not reasonably expect is not being used for good, no matter how well intentioned.

Owen