Writable SNMP

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Dec 6 20:38:13 UTC 2011

What SNMP does have for it is it is lightweight (to some extent) vs XML that can get quite bulky, and certainly is the case when trying to do many interfaces at once.

I have seen better precision with snmp vs cli interaction/tcp based interaction.

snmpbulkwalk has been my cruel mistress for several years... But does provide the detail/accuracy most days.

Also keep in mind most hardware only pulls or pushes counters every 5s anyways...

Jared Mauch