Writable SNMP

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Dec 6 17:35:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, 6 Dec 2011, Jared Mauch wrote:

> I recall some bay networks gear you could only program with the proper OID
> as the cli was basically a SNMP-SET operation on the device.

The mere mention of Bay Networks and Site Manager (read: Site Mangler or
Site Damager) is enough to get my blood pressure up a few points, and I
haven't touched that stuff since probably 1999 or 2000.  The CLI was quite
horrible, and their somewhat IOS-like command shell (BCC) was not much
better.

> Have you had a good experience with using SNMP-Write?  I have not.

The most I've done using SNMP SETs is backed up configurations from
network devices at my old job.  That part worked (and works) very well,
but I never tried pushing config changes out to devices that way.

jms