On Working Remotely

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Dec 6 04:01:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, David Radcliffe wrote:

> I do have to say to anyone planning to work from home, make sure you have a
> proper work space.  I have a computer room.  It contains a dozen systems,
> electronics gear and parts (I used to have time for that hobby), and
> comfortable and ergonomic work spaces.  There is no TV.  No reason for one
> because this is the work room.  The mind set should be "I am now in the work
> room, so I am at work."  Really works for me.

That's one of the reasons that I don't work from home very much at this
point - I don't have a proper office, however I'm hoping to fix that some
time next year.  The other reasons I don't work from home very much are
that my job still has a lot of hands-on responsibilities (which I don't
mind - pulling cable or racking equipment is a nice break from staring at
a screen for long periods of time), and, unfortunately, upper managements'
perceptions of things like teleworking and flex/comp time have not caught
up with the times :(

jms