On Working Remotely

Bill Blackford bblackford at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 16:13:19 UTC 2011

Reading this thread, is encouraging to me. My whole team are remote
workers and for myself, I've asked to maintain a cube in a nearby POP.
I have small ones at home who don't understand why dad can't be as
available to them as they wish. For me, I can't focus well with these
kind of distractions especially if I'm on a call or can't drop what
I'm doing, but I admire those who can. Also, at this point, I don't
have a dedicated "office" area at home and find myself huddled over a
work bench in the garage next to my server rack. Not the most ergo
setting.

That said, unlike my co-workers, I don't get a home office stipend, I
spend more in gas and my days are longer when I add the commute time
into the mix. Ideally, I would like to transition to working more at
home. I also perceive it's going to take some time for me to change
the paradigm of 9-5, (6-4) and transition to a model where I can work
the same amount of hours and be just as productive by logging in these
hours in non-contiguous chunks. Having the ability to "context-switch"
as Jan has labeled it, I believe is key here. This is a helpful
thread, thanks you all for sharing.

-b

--
Bill Blackford
Network Engineer

Logged into reality and abusing my sudo privileges.....