IP addresses are now assets

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Dec 2 19:23:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 11:04:23PM -0500, Michael R. Wayne wrote:
>>    After negotiating with multiple prospective buyers, Cerner Corp.
>>    agreed to buy the Internet addresses for $12 each. Other bids were
>>    as low as $1.50 each, according to a bankruptcy court filing.
>
> Someone should tell Cerner Corp you can still get them for free,
> and thus they overpaid by oh, $12 an address!

I'm waiting for someone to come back and balk at $12/address, and try to
reduce the number of addresses they buy, forgetting that pesky powers-of-two
business:  "In the interest of containing the cost of the deal, XYZ Corp has
agreed to buy 27,000 addresses instead of the original 65,536."

That will be a definite facepalm moment.

jms