bgp update destroying transit on redback routers ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Fri Dec 2 14:35:54 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 04:56:43PM -0500, Jeff Tantsura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me take it over from now on, I'm the IP Routing/MPLS Product Manager
> at Ericsson responsible for all routing protocols.
> There's nothing wrong in checking ASN in AGGREGATOR, we don't really want
> see ASN 0 anywhere, that's how draft-wkumari-idr-as0 (draft-ietf-idr-as0-00)
> came into the worlds.

This draft says that

If a BGP speaker receives a route which has an AS number of zero in the
AS_PATH (or AS4_PATH) attribute, it SHOULD be logged and treated as a
WITHDRAW. This same behavior applies to routes containing zero as the
Aggregator or AS4 Aggregator.

but observed behaviour was more like following:

If a BGP speaker receives [bad route] it MUST close session immediately
with NOTIFICATION Error Code 'Update Message Error' and subcode 'Error with
optional attribute'.

But, in practice, there is.