draft-ietf-idr-as0-00 (bgp update destroying transit on redback routers ?)

Daniel Ginsburg dbg at net-geek.org
Fri Dec 2 13:12:48 UTC 2011

Hi,

This is true that "no-aggregator-id" knob zeroes out the AGGREGATOR attribute.

The knob, as far as I was able to find out, dates back to gated and there's a reason why it was introduced - it helps to avoid unnecessary updates. Assume that an aggregate route is generated by two (or more) speakers in the network. These two aggregates differ only in AGGREGATOR attribute. One of the aggregates is preferred within the network (due to IGP metric, for instance, or any other reasons) and is announced out. Now if something changes within the network and the other instance of the aggregate becomes preferred, the network has to issue an outward update different from the previous only in AGGREGATOR attribute, which is completely superfluous.

If the network employs the "no-aggregator-id" knob to zero out the AGGREGATOR attribute, both instances of the aggregate route are completely equivalent, and no redundant outward updates have to be send if one instance becomes better than another due to some internal event, which nobody in the Internet cares about.

In other words, the "no-aggregator-id" knob has valid operational reasons to be used. And, IMHO, the draft-ietf-idr-as0-00 should not prohibit AS0 in AGGREGATOR attribute.