Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 2 09:18:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:47:22AM -0800, Scott Weeks wrote:

> In our industry, especially with all the tools we have today, it would seem
> that telecommuting would be more accepted, but it's not and I don't understand
> why.

People are social primates, alphas like access to nonverbal cues for
reading and control of their supposed underlings. Same reasons for
concentrations in big cities: interaction density is higher for business
dinners while underlings are not too far away. Net ops are more like
hunter-gatherers than anything, so there's considerable culture clash.