bgp update destroying transit on redback routers ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Thu Dec 1 16:38:03 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 05:07:15PM +0100, Igor Ybema wrote:
> Hi there,
> Since about 15:00u GMT we receive bgp updates from our transit which
> destroys the bgp sessions with them with message:
>
> send NOTIFICATION: 3/9 (update: optional attribute error) with 11 byte
> data. mxReadMs=610
>
> We use redback smartedge routers (SE100) currently for BGP.
>
> Anyone who have seen this also?

Have a complaint from our customer too. On our side (juniper) this is
logged as:

NOTIFICATION received from <peer-ip> (External AS <peer-as>): code 3
(Update Message Error) subcode 9 (error with optional attribute),
Data:  c0 07 08 00 00 00

As far as I can decode this attribute this is:
c0: optional, transitive, no partial, no extended-length
07: AGGREGATOR
08: attribute length is 8 bytes.

I think attribute length may be a problem here, because per RFC

AGGREGATOR is an optional transitive attribute of length 6.

But, in practice, there is.