Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Dec 1 15:24:59 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "randal k" <nanog at data102.com>

> Finding the diamond that has strong niche skill, networking, with a broad &
> just-deep-enough sysadmin background has been very, very hard. I cannot
> emphasize enough the importance of cross-training. Immensely valuable.

A relatively serviceable argument can be made that that guy who knows every
parameter of every command of every version of IOS ever shipped, and which
bugs are in which ones...

is like that cause he's an Aspie, and you're not gonna *get* the other stuff
from him or her, no matter how hard you try.

Luckily, by the time you get to the point where you *need* that person, your
staff is usually large enough that you can absorb some savants.

Cheers,
-- jra