Looking for a Tier 1 ISP Mentor for career advice.

randal k nanog at data102.com
Thu Dec 1 15:17:08 UTC 2011

This is a huge point. We've had a LOT of trouble finding good network
engineers who have all of the previously mentioned "soft" attributes -
attitude, team player, can write, can speak, can run a small project - and
are more than just Cisco pimps. I cannot explain how frustrating it is to
meet a newly minted CCNP who has zero Linux experience, can't script
anything, can't setup a syslog server, doesn't understand AD much less
LDAP, etc. Imagine, an employee who can help themselves 90% of the time ...

Finding the diamond that has strong niche skill, networking, with a broad &
just-deep-enough sysadmin background has been very, very hard. I cannot
emphasize enough the importance of cross-training. Immensely valuable.

Randal

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Bill Stewart <nonobvious at gmail.com> wrote:

>  And yeah, sometimes it means that you need to go
> learn technologies like Active Directory

 [snip]