New Natural Disaster! 8/27/2011 Hurricane Irene

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Aug 30 08:07:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 09:01:45 PDT, "andrew.wallace" said:
> It looks like the DHS, FEMA got this emergency wrong... by the time it got to
> NYC it was the equivalent of a normal day in Scotland

I doubt you actually have the sort of flooding Vermont is seeing as a normal day.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44305129/ns/weather/

NYC got 8 inches of rain. Call that 20cm.
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/08/hurricane-irene-august-wettest-month-new-york-city.php

The *total* average rainfall for Glasgow for June, July, August, and September
*combined* is 19.75cm. But yeah, you see that sort of rain as a "normal day".
http://weather.uk.msn.com/monthly_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:UKXX0061

Now admittedly, Glasgow and company had a spell of heavy rain earlier this month:
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/265795-road-and-rail-chaos-as-heavy-rain-batters-scotland/

But the 60mm (2.3 inches) was reported as one of the heaviest 24-hour rains since
they started keeping records in Glasgow. And what NYC got was almost 4 times as much.

41 dead, 5.1M houses still without power, flooding and downed trees all over the place.
I'm pretty sure that's not a normal day in Scotland.