What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

Grant Moritz grant at valkyrieit.net.au
Sat Aug 27 11:29:12 UTC 2011

I work on the Helpdesk for the ISP I have at home and since *most* of them
are fairly compotent I'd just call up or just head into work and do it
myself. Then again I can't remember the last time I had to call them for a
problem that was actually on their network.

On the flip side we get the occasional call from some people I like to call
"IT Professionals" who are usually clueless but like to think they know how
to troubleshoot the issue and bypass the trouble shooting while demanding
the problem be escalated to the wholesaler then look like a fool when it
turns out to be a modem or internal cabling issue.

Tech's who actually know what they're talking about are far easier to deal
with and when everything relevant has been done it's logged or escalated
with a minimum of fuss, I'd like to be able to add notes about customers
actual clue but I don't think it'd go down well if it got out with peoples
ego's and all.

--
Thanks,

Grant