Level 3 Peering Guidelines

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Aug 27 01:32:00 UTC 2011

> I have yet to find a down side to this sort of sunshine.  I'd wecome
> anyone who thinks its a bad idea to educate me.

Why is that any different than forcing businesses to explain which links are paid?  Or any other internal data?  Private businesses are private.  Their relationships with other private businesses are private.  Saying some data should be public while others are not is arbitrary.

Next time Cogent de-peers someone, customers do not care who was being more reasonable.  They care that their links are broken.  Customers do not care if links are out of ratio, they care if packets are dropped.  Further there are companies who can push 75 Gbps on an 8x10 LAG for 12 hours without dropping a packet, while other companies cannot push 60 Gbps on that same link without some intermittent packet loss.  Explaining to customers which are 'good' and which are 'bad' is an impossible task.

Finally, if this were to happen, a lot of links would be quickly disconnected.  Perhaps that could be considered a feature, but I am not at all certain it would be.

In summary: I do not like gov't involvement, even if it is just to require some random set of data to be made public.

--
TTFN,
patrick