East Coast Earthquake 8-23-2011

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Aug 24 13:44:20 UTC 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 8:55 AM, JC Dill wrote:
> On 23/08/11 3:13 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>> A. Our structures aren't built to seismic zone standards. Our
>> construction workers aren't familiar with*how*  to build to seismic
>> zone standards. We don't secure equipment inside our buildings to
>> seismic zone standards.
>
> They should be.
> They should be.
> You should.
>
> Earthquakes can happen anywhere.  There's no excuse to fail to build/secure to earthquake standards.

Tornados can happen anywhere, there's no excuse to fail to build/secure for tornados.

[Etc.]

Things that cost money are not done unless the probability of the danger is higher than vanishingly small.  This temblor - at 5.8 with no injuries or fatalities - was the largest earthquake on the entire east coast in 67 years, and the largest in VA in well over a century.  Think of the _trillions_ of dollars which could have been put into healthcare, public safety, hell, better networking equipment :) we could have used instead of making all buildings on the east coast earthquake safe.

--
TTFN,
patrick