East Coast Earthquake 8-23-2011

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Aug 23 21:48:09 UTC 2011

A 5.8 (or 5.9, I've seen conflicting numbers) really isn't likely to do all
that much damage, even on the East Coast. In California, anyone who
has lived here for more than 10 years probably doesn't even feel
anything less than a 5, and, it takes a solid 6 to really get anyone's
attention out here. Natives mostly won't change their behavior for
anything short of a 6.5.

I would presume that on the East Coast where you have a lot more
masonry construction you might see some minor building damage
and a few cracked walls here and there, but it's unlikely to sever
any underground utilities or take out any facilities.

I suspect the voice network is overwhelmed because it's probably
a newsworthy event in that area, but that will probably die down
in a few hours after everyone finally reaches their loved ones and
hears that everyone is OK, but, boy wasn't that exciting…

Owen