East Coast Earthquake 8-23-2011

Roy r.engehausen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:53:49 UTC 2011

On 8/23/2011 12:43 PM, PC wrote:
> Based on a sampling of thousands of cable modems, dsl, and cellular sites in
> the DC area:
>
> With a 10 second keepalive/30 second holdtime, I only saw, maybe, 2-3 sites
> disappear per thousand based on an endpoint in Ashburn, VA.  I do see some
> delay cellular side, but it looks to be solely congestion (high pings,
> etc.).  However, it was minimal and was a 15 minute occurrence which
> gradually peaked then dropped down to normal levels.  I'm guessing it's
> usage based.
>
> The DSL/cable had no drops that I can find.
>
> Largely, it has had little to no effect for me.
>

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Chris<caldcv at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> A friend about 80 miles near the epicenter says phones are down but
>> Comcast Internet, by way of some miracle, is up

I was watching the news reports on TV here in California.  People were
either being evacuated or elf-evacuating from building in DC, NYC, etc.
As the cameras panned over the crowds, I would estimate 75% of the
people had their phones out.  Within fifteen minutes of the event, my
wife either called or received a call from her family in VA and NY.