Prefix hijacking by Michael Lindsay via Internap

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 18:15:40 UTC 2011

> On Aug 20, 2011, at 10:29 PM, Tammy A. Wisdom wrote:
>> I completely agree... the real issue here is the system is flawed and RIPE/ARIN/APNIC etc have zero actual authority over actual routing.  Yet another reason they aren't worth the money we flush down the toilet for them to do absolutely nothing.
>> --Tammy

The system is this way BY DESIGN,  and any other method would concentrate power
which would be  detrimental to the internet  and counter to its
open/consensus driven nature.

Whenever power or authority has been concentrated or centralized on
the internet, the
altruistic objective has almost always been  distorted or corrupted to
serve for-profit/commercial
interests  instead of community interests.

The domain name system and ICANN is the perfect, iconical example, of
why we should never
have a single entity  with ACTUAL authority over routing.

The RIRs' job is to provide unique registrations, nothing else.
And registry fees are for recovering costs necessary to provide the
service and to maintain
addressing policy.

Just like the IETF's  job is to provide  RFCs.

But the IETF has no authority to go around to mailservers running
certain software,
and force them to be turned off  for  non-compliance with the RFC.

_Enforcement_  of   RIR  allocations is by network operators   refusing to
originate or propagate announcements  by organizations unauthorized by
the registered resource holder.

So IANA/ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/etc   _do_  have an effect on routing policy, it's just
an indirect effect   that depends on the operator community recognizing them
as the IP address registry.

--
-JH