What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Fri Aug 19 20:18:30 UTC 2011

> I am wondering what some of you guys do when your home ISP is down. At
> least those of you that don't give yourself internet.
>
> I myself have a cable provider at home that I use. And I find it quite
> frustrating to call and report issues in there network, because the
> people in the call center have you do the same things every time and are
> not very technical.

Why would you put yourself in such a situation?

 - Arrange for two or more diverse fiber entrances to your house
 - Put atleast one Ds3 microwave link for emergency access
 - Have diffrent routers terminate each link
 - Redundant interconnects inside the house, no single ethernet switch
 - Run a ISP proven IGP (M-ISIS)
 - Run IBGP and have your redundant peer routers to talk EBGP at a
   exchange point that has physically diverse swithes
 - Add a hadfull upstreams in addition to your exchange point peers,
   and make sure the private point-to-point links are diverse
 - Establish contacts with the organisation on the remote

I did not list it, but you need to make sure you have emergency power,
generators, UPS and batteries etc to keep things running. Put your
routers in two compartments that are isolated from flooding and fire..

-P