Announcement of University of Washington routing study

Ethan Katz-Bassett ethan at
Thu Aug 18 18:32:20 CDT 2011

>From August 24 to October 4, the University of Washington and Georgia Tech
will conduct an Internet routing study using AS-PATH poisoning.  The study
will *only* affect the Georgia Tech experimental prefix its sub-prefixes).  The prefix serves *no active
users/services* so the
study should not affect any production prefixes or users.  We plan to insert
AS numbers into our announcements to route around some networks.  We will
always start AS-PATHs with our own ASN 47065.  We will limit ourselves to at
most 10 announcement changes per hour (and generally will change the
announcement for a given sub-prefix at most every 90 minutes).

This experiment is almost identical to one that Georgia Tech conducted in
June and July without problems or complaints
(, so we do
not anticipate any issues.  Others have done similar studies in the past
(e.g., Randy Bush et al.:<>).
If, for any reason, you want us not to include your ASN in announcements for
our prefix, please opt-out at any time before August 24 at: .  A few ASes opted out of the
previous Georgia Tech study, and we will continue to honor those opt-outs.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Ethan Katz-Bassett

University of Washington