What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

Nick Olsen nick at flhsi.com
Thu Aug 18 23:09:05 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Jon Lewis" <jlewis at lewis.org>

> It can be frustrating talking to their frontline people, but unless you

> have contacts there in network engineering, what else are you going to
do?

>I just want to put in a tip o' the hat here to the BHN/RoadRunner
*business*

>support people who handle Tampa Bay.  I have had to call them, oh, 20 or
30

>times in the last 5-7 years, mostly on behalf of clients, and their front

>line is *sharp*.  They understand CIDR, they don't freak out about DNS,
and

>they understand MTR -- hell, some of them *use* MTR.

>And they don't get scared when you know what you're talking about.

Agreed. The same can be said for the Business support here in Central Fl
Bright House region. They are generally pretty decent. If you tell them you
bypassed the modem and tested. Or it's a problem off your network (routing
issue upstream) they don't waste your time with making you do it again.

I think the big difference here is the Residential BHN service first sends
the call to the national "Road Runner" help desk. And when you get a level
2 and above, Your talking to a local person. You skip right to local if the
sees your modem is dead.

Where is the business support is always a local person.

/2cents