What do you do when your Home ISP is down?

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Aug 18 13:21:49 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:17:07AM -0700, Jeff Johnstone wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mark Keymer <mark at viviotech.net> wrote:
> > I am wondering what some of you guys do when your home ISP is down. At
> > least those of you that don't give yourself internet.
> > <snip>
> > I know we have a wide range of people here some of which work for my
> > Home ISP. and would love some feedback.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Mark Keymer
> >
> I've had great  luck by working through the system a couple of times until
> reaching a level 3 or 4 tech and then working things through. If you work
> with them, have them make a note on your account that acknowledges your
> technical skills and lets you bypass front line staff. I almost never get
> stuck talking to front line staff anymore, and I know my feedback has been
> helpful in problem resolution more than a few times :)
> Get to know the techs, best solution, but it takes perseverance the first
> few times.

I find it unfortunate that I've _had_ the opportunity to get to know the
helldesk and local techs. People have a bad habit of taking overheight
trucks down the street just behind my house, pulling the drop down from
one of the two poles that theoretically support it at each end.

Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin