Exploiting a non-facilities CLEC relationship

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Aug 17 15:56:01 UTC 2011

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Charles N Wyble wrote:

> On 08/15/2011 10:14 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Graham Wooden wrote:
>> If I understand your question, yes.  We did this some time ago.  Colo
>> in various ILEC and CLEC central offices,
>
> Um. Doesn't colo in various ILEC/CLEC CO == facilities based CLEC?

That depends on your definition of "facilities based".  As a CLEC, we
still depended entirely on the ILEC for T1 loops (installation,
troubleshooting/repair, etc.).

> Interesting. Can't you just ride the existing network between the CO
> locations? For a fee of course, but I would think it could be all
> ethernet based and just pay per mb or something?

Not if they're different ILECs / different LATAs.  If you're in an AT&T CO
in city A, and a Centurylink CO in city B, and an AT&T CO in city C,
you're going to need a 3rd party, preferably with their own fiber, to
connect all the POPs together or back to some central hub site where you
have your internet connectivity.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |