Verizon Business - LTE?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:53:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> wrote:
> In a message written on Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:29:13AM -0400, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>> > PCMag did the math, you can use up the 5GB alotment in 32 minutes
>> > with LTE.  Seems like as the speeds get faster the cap should get
>> > larger, doesn't it?
>>
>> airtime is still the same price for the carrier...
>
> Ah, but you're making my argument!  I agree airtime * spectrum is
> the limited quanity for the provider, and so should influence the
> cap and pricing.

I did say I thought the argument was bs ...

> As far as I can tell, LTE can drive 8-10x the data in the same
> spectrum over the same time period, as compared to HSDPA.  If you're
> really buying "spectrum-minutes" then you should be getting more
> data with LTE for the same price.

so... there's also the bw to the tower, which I think most carriers
actually lease as well (they don't own the tower, nor the link to the
tower) so it's possible that the whole setup just costs them more now.

anyway, they do these donkey things because they can :( people have no
real option (except not to play the game, ala war games).