seeking pointers on the topic of 'name server registration'

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Aug 16 03:22:11 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Brian Reichert" <reichert at numachi.com>

> I posted this request in another forum, but didn't get as much info as
> I'd hoped:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.operators.internet-access/5568/match=nameserver+registration
>
> To reprise in _this_ forum:
>
> I apologize for the noise; I hope this is an appropriate forum.
>
> I've been hosting DNS for years for several domains. Recently, I
> have had to rename/renumber my primary servers, and need to update
> various registrars of these changes.
>
> Most registrars seem fine with me just supplying the names of the
> new nameservers; they chase the A records, and generate the glue
> records, and off I go.
>
> One of these registrars (NetSol) introduces a topic I've never been
> aware of before, this concept of 'name server registration'.
>
> Web searching shows me several hits along the lines of 'how to
> register namesevers with registrar X', but I can't find a treatment
> of:
>
> - Is this anything more than generating glue records?
>
> - Why is this explicit step neccessary for some registrars, but not
> others?
>
> I'd appreciate any advice...

Netsol has required this since I registered baylink.com, in 1994.

I never could figure out what they were on about, and it caused me quite
a bit of hassle at various points, but they did require it. Of course, if
all of your new nameservers are *inside* your new domain, then you *have* to
supply them both a name and an IP for them to get the glue right, AFAIK.

But then, my name isn't Albitz, *or* Liu.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra