IPv6 end user addressing

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Mon Aug 15 02:10:05 UTC 2011

Hi,
The CPE we're providing to our customers from Billion (78xxN/NL, 74xxNX etc) and AVM (Fritz!Box 7290 and 7390) that have IPv6 code do have IPv6 stateful firewalls.

Our requirement was that, as much as possible that the IPv4 and IPv6 outcome should be similar (with obvious exceptions around NAT).
Without IPv6 having a firewall in the CPE it'd be a difficult thing to convince people to do.

And here I'm speaking about "normal" customers.  The people who've taken up our IPv6 service so far are not typical customers but people who are, well, fairly switched on to this stuff.  So we had to look beyond the initial desires of our customers to what the general population would want.  (ie. someone who's regularly attending IETF meetings typically has a different outlook on what they want in a CPE vs what my Dad wants).

MMC