NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sun Aug 14 20:11:58 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 06:08:28PM -0700, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> The holy grail I'm searching for now?  A GigE switch with POE,
> unmanaged is ok, and probably preferred from a price perspective;
> but with NO FAN.

Based on a private message and some poking around it appears Netgear
has delivered 95% of what I want.

The GS110TP is a 8 port 10/100/1000 w/POE + 2 port SFP switch, no
fan:
http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart-switches/GS110TP.aspx

Note that it only has a 48w power budget, so it can't do full power
on each port.

The GS108T-200 is the companion switch, 8 ports 10/100/1000 and it
can be powered by POE on the uplink port:
http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart-switches/GS108T-200.aspx

It uses 6W, so 8 ports * 6W is 48W, hey, you can put one of these
on every port on the GS110TP!  I have a feeling that's exactly what
Netgear was thinking!

So, there you go, a way to star 8 8-port switches off a central switch
with the remote switches needing no power.  This allows UPS'ing the
central switch only, while knowing they will all stay up.

The GS110TP seems to go for about $260, while the GS108T-200's are about
$100 each.

I wish the GS110TP had a bit more power budget, as I'd like to run a
couple of ports to 15W devices while using a few others for the switches
downstream.  But kudos for Netgear for keeping up their great line.
These are also managed switches, you get VLAN's, SNMP, QoS, basically
more goodies than most folks need at home.