NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

jari.arkko at piuha.net jari.arkko at piuha.net
Sun Aug 14 13:58:41 UTC 2011

Leo,

> Why? Unless you live in a HUGE house, you can do 10GE over copper to
> all rooms. Copper is infinately easier to run and terminate.

Because you need optical so that you can run the feed into the backup
servers in the EMP protected room? :-)

(I have a shelter that had to be added for building technical reasons, and
I ended up adding some Faraday cage features before concrete was poured. I
haven't tested it for EMP though :-) But I don't have the optical gear as
it has been very expensive, at least if one wants to go beyond 100mbit/s.
At least last time I checked. Pointers for cheap 1gbit/s or beyond gear
welcome.)

Jari