Home computer rooms

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sun Aug 14 02:04:03 UTC 2011

I've got a Danby portable type dual hose unit which works very well
for my office.  The single hose units are really no good for getting a
room cool as they continually pull in outside air.  It's pretty quiet,
a lot quieter than the cheaper no-name unit it replaced.  12000BTU -
it does really need it's own 15A/120V circuit because of the size.

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Charles N Wyble <charles at knownelement.com> said:
>> Related to my thread about home data centers, what are folks using to
>> store compute gear in?
>>
>> Mine sits in two racks in my second bedroom. Cooled by ambient AC.
>
> I have an old pdp-8 rack (I didn't get the actual computer, just the
> rack, but it does still have the DEC faceplate), and the room is cooled
> by the regular central A/C.  I've considered dedicated A/C for this room
> (just a small spare bedroom really), but I haven't found anything that
> is economical and quiet.
>
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler