NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sat Aug 13 17:09:32 UTC 2011

On 8/12/2011 8:29 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>> So what's in NANOGers home networks/compute centers? :)
> Surprisingly minimalistic - a Linksys cablemodem and a Belkin Play wireless
> router, both from Best Buy, a Dell Latitude laptop from work, and a PS/3.
>
> (I used to have more gear, but it came down to floor space for compute gear I
> didn't use versus guitar gear I *do* use.. ;)

I'm on a similar page with Valdis, cable modem and a couple wireless routers (11n with USB drive for media, b/g downstairs for kids Xbox).  The serious toys are at the office :)  And no guitar gear, but keyboards and home theater gear have priority.  Used to run a Nepenthes honeypot but have retired it as very little malware is network-driven these days and the returns were minimal.

Also have a small museum in the back room, with an IBM 2311 disk drive carcass (glass door intact), a 360/65 front panel, and an HP9000 D-class (still boots when I can afford the power/noise/nostalgia).

Jeff