personal backup

Dorn Hetzel dorn at hetzel.org
Sat Aug 13 14:22:49 UTC 2011

> We used to use DVD's for off-site backup, but that's not been the best
> of solutions.  I've been experimenting with external hard drives but
> I am less comfortable with them; I've seen too many drives fail.  The
> idea of letting them sit for awhile and praying they spin up later
> bothers me.  :-)  On the other hand, running Unison to a server someplace
> else has obvious benefits and some downsides too.  Backups remain a
> tricky problem to get right.
>
> ... JG
> --
> Joe Greco - sol.net Network Services - Milwaukee, WI - http://www.sol.net

For backups I use a combination of:

1) Sync server to a single purpose windows XP box in a different building
(why windoze will become apparent shortly)

2) Continuous dribble of remote backup from XP backup to backblaze (doesn't
support server OS for obvious reasons)

3) Monthly or so backup of really critical files to microsd cards in safety
deposit box.  They are inexpensive and very small, so I just buy a new one
for each backup and let them pile up in the box.

It's not perfect but works for me, and I can use backblaze to remotely
"recover" a file if access to my server is down :)

-Dorn