NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 08:01:02 UTC 2011

Eric Krichbaum <eric at telic.us> wrote:

>I have a 12 pack of single mode run between wiring closets upstairs and
>downstairs.  Only one server running feeding media to my xbmc's
>everywhere
>but quite a bit on gig.  Nothing overly noisy unless you have your head
>in
>the closets.
>
>Eric

Anyone got experience with XBMC and similar linux media centre tools running on tablet or netbook class hardware? I like the idea of using a couple of el cheapo Android tablets with decent external speakers as music/video/TV/phone terminals, getting content from a NAS box and perhaps phone from a * server.

Roku etc. are far, far too expensive for what they do.

Alternatively, Eric, what are your XBMCs running on?