personal backup

Jake Khuon khuon at NEEBU.Net
Sat Aug 13 06:25:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-13 at 14:12 +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> charles skipped what i see as a highly critical question, personal
> backup.

Very good point.

For my laptops, nearline field storage includes my laptop's drive and a
portable external drive. Online and nearline home storage is a network
attached storage array running proprietary X-RAID (like RAID-5) with a
hot-spare drive. All my machines (desktops, servers and laptops) are set
to perform regular backups to the NAS. Offline backups are done to a
series of external USB HDs that are rotated into place for nightly
incremental and weekly full backups. Current retention schema is 4 weeks
of backups with a one week offsite physical rotation (performed monthly
to a safety deposit box).  I'm at the moment trying to figure out a good
way for doing streaming backups to an offsite DC.

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |